Thursday, September 29th, 2010
Teacher was not at school on Thursday or Friday. She told us she was going to London to get a prize for being a great teacher of.......well, we thought it was for teaching kids, but actually it was for teaching lots of science. She took plenty of photographs so we can see what it was like.
- Are you wondering who all these people are? The numbers on the photos help to explain:
A rainbow that teacher saw from the window of the plane. All rainbows are a perfect circle, but usually we can just see them as an arc. From above you can see the rainbow as a perfect circle. This is teacher's first time to ever see this. She was amazed!
- Teacher's aeroplane (very like the pictures you drew on Wednesday!)
- Waterford airport (where teacher's plane landed just for a short stop) - airports come in all sizes, this one is a small one!
- Teacher getting her award from Professor Dame Jocelyn Bell Burnell, president of the Institute of Physics in Britain.
- Another picture of teacher getting her award "Teacher of Primary Science 2010"
- Teacher with Professor Robert Bowman, chairman of the Institute of Physics in Ireland, and Mrs. Clare Thomson of the Institute of Physics in Britain.
- Teacher with three "Teachers of Physics 2010" award winners - Priyankara Gunawardena of Liverpool College, Britain, Diarmaid Hickey of Coachford College in Cork, and Noel Cunningham of King's Hospital 'School in Dublin.
- Teacher's certificate and award .
- Teacher with Professor Brian Cox who won an award for bringing physics to everyone with his famous TV series about the solar system.
News article from the Institue of Physics in Ireland at http://irish.iop.org/News/news_41614.html
See the account of the event on the Discover Primary Science newsletter http://www.primaryscience.ie/resources_enewsletter_edition21_art5.php
Other information from IOP is at http://www.scienceday.org/about/awards/additional/primary/winners/page_45060.html
Article from Galway Advertiser 21/10/10 http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/32364
From the Galway Science and Technology Festival 2010 brochure http://www.galwayscience.ie/news/jane-mcloughlin-awarded-teacher-primary-science-award-2010
From St. Patrick's College, Drumcondra http://www.spd.dcu.ie/main/news/JaneMcLoughlin.shtml
From the IOP Ireland newsletter http://www.iopireland.org/News/newsletter/file_41697.pdf
Galway Science and Technology Festival 2010 http://www.galwayscience.ie/2010-galway-science-technology-festival-person-of-the-year/