Tuesday 16 September 2008

Balloon Lung and How Big are my Lungs?

Tuesday, September 16th, 2008
Today we were talking about breathing and about our lungs.
Balloon Lung: It was easier to understand about what goes on when we breathe when we did a breathing investigation.
Teacher cut up a 2litre bottle and put a balloon on the end. (The balloon is like our lungs and the bottle is like the rib cage). We can get a balloon lung to inflate (blow up) and deflate (go down), inside its lungs (a coke bottle) by squeezing the bottle.
Next we found out how big our lungs are:
When I blow out through the tube, the air from my lungs goes into the big bottle. The air in the bottle goes into the basin. The air in the bottle when I am finished is the air that came out of my lungs. Lots of air means big lungs!

No comments: